Saturday, January 4, 2014

AXLES REMOVED


January 4, 2014:  Worked late into the night removing both the front and rear axle assemblies.  After removing all the remaining accessories from the frame, it was time to move her from the garage.  Around 2230, I heard my neighbor Tom outside shoveling snow so I had him help me carry the frame outside.  With the snow coming down like crazy, we dropped the frame into a snowbank on the side of the house where it is out of the way.  It’s now time to get everything to the sandblaster.  Towards the end of the night, I decided to disassemble the transfer/transmission assembly.  This is the first time I am confronted with the rule that you should not attempt any mechanical procedure without first consulting the manual.  I had the assembly attached to the engine hoist and attempted to separate the two.  I loosened the five main bolts holding the two assemblies together and started to separate them.  When they were almost apart (3-4” gap) they would not let loose.  Back to the drawing board to find out what configuration, if any, the transmission gears need to be in if any.  Stupid move= one big mess to clean up.






No comments:

Post a Comment